Monday, October 29, 2012

Roasted Garlic

So, how about this hurricane?

Here in Charlotte we pretty much just got a massive temperature drop and a lot of wind. I spent some time in the northern tip of Illinois and grew up in Connecticut, so the cold isn't new to me. But, I hate sudden weather changes. Oh I am spoiled, aren't I?

Today I copied a recipe from one of my favorite vegan blogs, Oh She Glows. As I perused Angela's mouth watering recipes, I came upon one that looked totally feasible on my budget: Roasted Garlic. Roasting the garlic takes away the eye-watering sting that comes from eating it raw and leaves you with a creamy, mild, warm and savory taste. I followed her recipe completely and do not regret it one bit. I'll repeat the steps here.

Roasted Garlic

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel the outside skin of the garlic off. Take a knife and slice off the tops of the cloves. If you miss a few, it's okay. Just use the tip of your knife or a small knife to get the stragglers.



See? Just like that :)

Now, place the garlic on tin foil and drizzle with olive oil; enough to cover the whole top.



Place in the oven on or in any oven safe pan (I used a cookie sheet) and let bake for about 45 minutes. During this time, take your dog out for a stroll in the wind. Eat a cookie. Have some warm apple cider. Go get the mail. The options are endless. 

Pull the pan out when the timer goes off and let stand for fifteen minutes. After, when opened, they should then look like this:



Yes...yes...

I opted for using them as a spread on some toast but you can do anything with them. Angela says to put them in soup, pesto, potatoes, or just eat them straight!



I will absolutely make this again. Perhaps I'll try my own pesto or jazz up my potatoes with it. But it was SO GOOD! Warm, garlicky and savory...mmm and buttery without any butter. Sure it will make your breath smell like garlic but who cares? Good food is worth the breath. Also it smells awesome in my apartment.

I really hope everyone is safe. This hurricane sounds like a doozy and I hope all my friends, readers, and everyone up north is staying safe and warm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment